- Assessment of natural stock of hilsa and their habitat preference, biology and biochemical composition in different ecosystems.
- To develop knowledge base on genome-wide variation and population structure of hilsa to support aquaculture and natural stock management.
- Evaluation of osmoregulatory and endocrine changes of hilsa in relation to ionic homeostasis and gonad maturation.
- Development and standardization of captive breeding, seed production and culture systems
- Development of feed and augmentation of homing through chemo-attractants.
CIFRI, Barrackpore is the lead center of the project consortium. The first objective is directly addressed by CIFRI, Barrackpore and the second objective is taken care of by NBFGR, Lucknow. The third objective is addressed by the Kolkata Centre of CIFE. The forth objective is addressed collectively by all the Institutes in the respective areas of expertise with lead role by CIFA, CIBA and CMFRI, involving development of captive breeding and seed production and culture protocol. The fifth objective is taken care of by CIBA for feed development and Visva-Bharati University for describing sensory mechanisms and developing chemo attractants.